- Get as much information about the job and the company before the interview. Visit their website (if they have one) and become familiar with what they do. If you know what you’re talking about, it makes an impression.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early. Take this time to observe the reception area and get a feel for the company and people that work there.
- Greet the person interviewing you with a smile and a firm handshake. State your name and surname clearly.
- Grooming is very important. First impressions are lasting impressions!
- Wear clothing that is both comfortable and professional for you.
- Ensure that you and your clothing are clean and tidy. Hair should be clean, neat and out of your face.
- Be fairly conservative in dress. A two-piece suit, white dress shirt, and tie for a man. Women should wear either a suit or a dress, also along the conservative lines.
- Don’t wear excess make-up, perfume/cologne or accessories.
- Have some questions prepared to ask the person interviewing you. It will show your interest in the company and the position.
- Be yourself and smile.
- Don’t arrive late.
- Don’t show up unprepared.
- Don’t take your cellular phone into the interview.
- Don’t forget to take a pen and paper with you, in case the interviewer wants to give you details of a second interview or for any other notes.
- Don’t smoke even if the interviewer smokes and offers you a cigarette.
- Don’t get too relaxed in the interview and drift off into conversation.
- Don’t be overbearing in confidence and personality.
- Don't forget to smile and let your personality shine through! It will show.